In 2020, humanity faced one of the most significant challenges in history: the pandemic. In the middle of those uncertainties, the film industry tumbled, productions stopped, studios locked down, movie theaters closed, and people were without jobs. Many festivals were canceled, rescheduled, or postponed. Creativity prevailed, and cinematic celebrations worldwide moved to virtual screenings, drive-ins, streets, parks, lakes, and open-air events.
Festivals put on a hell of a show, allowing artists, talent, and productions to expose their work virtually to thousands of cloistered movie fans worldwide.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and one of the best ways to spread the word about festivals is by creating a unique poster.
Visionary artists unmasked their talent, style, and personality through their work.
|The World’s Best Film Festival Posters 2020 - Pandemic Special|
Every piece must contain diversity, inclusion, and cultural identity. Therefore, to determine the best posters, we followed ten crucial points:
- Concept. The festival’s theme, genre,
idea, culture, ethnicity, and diversity. Dare to be bold!
- Originality. Do we need more images of palm trees or “lights, camera, and action?” Think outside the box. The concept must be unique and sublime.
- Format. Every inch of the canvas counts, and the work must be on the traditional vertical/rectangular areas.
- Design. The material depends upon dimension, structure, proportions, sizing, and distribution.
- Style. Cultural crossover enriches the piece. In the movie “The Last Emperor,” the story is Chinese. Still, the director, the photographer, the music composer, set designers were Italian, and the rest of the crew British. The work done by the filmmakers of this Academy Award-winning film is stylish and highly sophisticated.
- Colors. A harmonious composition needs, at most, five colors unless the artist has a substantial justification for breaking the rule.
- Information. If the designers miss crucial information such as title, dates, year, place, city, and country, it pushes the reader to become a “private detective” and spend hours online trying to figure out when, where, and how to access the films. The piece becomes too commercial if the placard has too much information, such as sponsors or advertisements.
- Fonts should be limited in type, size, and color. A poster is not spaghetti pasta, where we can mix sauces, meats, and spices. Artists must spotlight delivering the message correctly.
- The Focal Point will be the center of what the audience should see first. The design must be catchy, impressive, and aesthetically harmonious.
- Diversity. Regardless of personal taste or ideology, artists must think in variety - Cinema is a universal language, and anyone can understand and relate to the project.
|The World’s Best Film Festival Posters 2020 - Pink|
In solidarity with other festivals impacted by the pandemic, the Venice Film Festival took transcendental action, inviting other struggling film festivals to participate in the prestigious Italian affair, such as The London Film Festival, Cannes, Berlin, Locarno, Rotterdam, San Sebastian, and Karlovy Vary.
The Best Poster of 2020 honor went to the exquisite design of the Venice Film Festival. The piece integrates the classic Venetian acrobats on the trapeze with a perfect blend of colors, shades, shadows, and impeccable fonts.
The selected designs of 2020 denoted outstanding quality. The creations are eclectic, evocative, ethereal, esoteric, and abstract, and above all, these posters represent a deep sense of spirituality.
77 MOSTRA INTERNAZIONALE D'ARTE CINEMATOGRAFICA LA BIENALE DI VENEZIA
|MONTCLAIR FILM FESTIVAL 2020|
SAN SEBASTIAN, SPAIN
68 DONOSTIA ZINEMALDIA SAN SEBASTIAN