In 2020, humanity faced one of the most significant challenges in history, the pandemic - in the middle of those uncertainties, the film industry tumbled, productions stopped, studios locked down, movie theaters closed, people were without a job.
Many festivals were canceled, rescheduled, or postponed. Creativity prevailed, and the cinematic celebrations around the world moved forward to virtual screenings, drive-ins, streets, parks, lakes, and open-air events.
|The World's Best Film Festival Posters 2020 - Pandemic Special|
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Visionary artists unmasked their talent, style, and personality through their work.
Every piece must contain a sense of diversity, inclusion, and cultural identity. Therefore, to determine the best posters, we followed ten crucial points:
- Concept. The festival's theme must be congruent with the genre,
idea, culture, ethnicity, and diversity. Dare to be bold!
- Originality. Do we need more images of palm trees or “lights, camera, and action?” Think outside box. The concept must be unique, sublime.
- Format. Every single inch of the canvas counts. The work has to be on the traditional vertical/rectangular areas.
- Design. The material depends upon dimension, structure, proportions, sizing, and distribution.
- Style. Cultural crossover enriches the piece. In the movie “The Last Emperor,” the story is Chinese. Still, the director, the photographer, the music composer, and the set designers were Italian, and the rest of the crew British. The work done by the filmmakers of this Academy Award-winning film is stylish and highly sophisticated.
- Colors. A harmonious composition needs no more than five colors unless the artist has a substantial justification for breaking the rule.
- Information. If the designers miss crucial information such as title, dates, year, place, city, and country, it pushes the reader to become a “private detective” and spend hours online trying to figure out when, where, and how to access the films. If the placard has too much information, such as sponsors, or advertisements, the piece becomes too commercial.
- Fonts should be limited the type, size, and color. A poster is not spaghetti pasta where we can mix sauces, meats, and species. Artists must spotlight delivering the message correctly.
- The Focal Point will be the center of what the audience should see first. The design must be catchy, impressive, and aesthetically harmonious.
- Diversity. Regardless of personal taste or ideology, artists must think in diversity - Cinema is a universal language, and anyone could understand and relate to the project.
|The World's Best Film Festival Posters 2020 - Pink|
In solidarity with other festivals impacted by the pandemic, the Venice Film Festival took the transcendental of action inviting other struggling film festivals, to participate in the prestigious Italian affair.
The festivals that brought to light their challenges and, most importantly, their projects were: The London Film Festival, Cannes, Berlin, Locarno, Rotterdam, San Sebastian, and Karlovy Vary.
The Venice Film Festival's exquisite design integrates the classic Venetian acrobats' cultural elements on the trapeze with a perfect blend of colors, shades, and shadows - harmoniously joined by an impeccable use of fonts was selected as the best poster of 2020.
The outstanding quality denoted in the creation of every poster made this year's the election straightforward.
The selected designs of 2020 are eclectic, evocative, ethereal, esoteric, abstract, and above all, these posters denote a deep sense of spirituality.
77 MOSTRA INTERNAZIONALE D'ARTE CINEMATOGRAFICA LA BIENALE DI VENEZIA
|MONTCLAIR FILM FESTIVAL 2020|
SAN SEBASTIAN, SPAIN
68 DONOSTIA ZINEMALDIA SAN SEBASTIAN