In 2020, humanity faced one of the most significant challenges in history - in the middle of those uncertainties, the film industry tumbled, productions stopped, studios locked down, movie theaters closed. Many festivals were canceled, rescheduled, or postponed. Creativity prevailed, and the cinematic celebrations moved forward to virtual screenings, drive-ins, streets, parks, lakes, and all kinds of open-air events.
|The World's Best Film Festival Posters 2020 - Pandemic Special|
In art, specifically, in the world of graphics – beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Visionary artists unmasked their talent, style, and personality through their work.
To be selected, every piece must contain a sense of diversity, inclusion, and cultural identity. Therefore, to determine the best posters, we followed ten crucial points:
- Concept. The festival's theme has to be congruent with the genre, idea, culture, ethnicity, and diversity.
- Originality. Do we need more images of palm trees or “lights, camera, and action?” Think outside box. The concept must be unique, sublime.
- Format. Every single inch of the canvas counts. The work has to be on the traditional vertical/rectangular areas.
- Design. The material depends upon dimension, structure, proportions, sizing, and distribution.
- Style. Cultural crossover enriches the piece. In the movie “The Last Emperor,” the story is Chinese. Still, the director, the photographer, the music composer, and the set designers were Italian. The work done by the filmmakers of this Academy Award-winning film is stylish and highly sophisticated.
- Colors. A harmonious composition needs no more than five colors unless the artist has a substantial justification for breaking the rules.
- Information. If the designers miss crucial information such as title, dates, year, place, city, and country, it pushes the reader to become a “private detective” and spend hours online trying to figure out when, where, and how to access the films. If the placard has too much information such as sponsors, or advertisements, the piece becomes too commercial.
- Fonts. Limit the type, size, and color of fonts. A poster is not spaghetti pasta where you can mix sauces and species. It would be best if the artist spotlights on delivering the message correctly.
- Focal Point. In fundamental to find the focal point in the art that will be the center of what the audience should see first. The design must be catchy, impressive, and aesthetically beautiful.
- Diversity. Regardless of personal background, taste, ideology, the artist must think in diversity. Cinema is a universal language, anyone could be able to understand and relate to the project.
|The World's Best Film Festival Posters 2020 - Pink|
In solidarity with other festivals impacted by the pandemic, the Venice Film Festival took the transcendental action of inviting other festivals by allowing them to participate in the prestigious Italian affair. Those festivals bring to light some of their challenges and, most importantly, some of their projects. The London Film Festival, Cannes, Berlin, Locarno, Rotterdam, San Sebastian, and Karlovy Vary were among the presenters.
The Venice Film Festival's work is selected as the best poster of 2020. Its exquisite design integrates the classic Venetian acrobats' cultural elements on the trapeze with a perfect blend of colors, shades, and shadows - harmoniously joined by an impeccable use of fonts.
The outstanding quality denoted in the creation of every poster made the election straightforward. The selected designs of 2020 are eclectic, evocative, ethereal, esoteric, abstract, and above all, these posters denote a deep sense of spirituality.
77 MOSTRA INTERNAZIONALE D'ARTE CINEMATOGRAFICA LA BIENALE DI VENEZIA
|MONTCLAIR FILM FESTIVAL 2020|
SAN SEBASTIAN, SPAIN
68 DONOSTIA ZINEMALDIA SAN SEBASTIAN
SAN SEBASTIAN, SPAINDESIGNED BY PATIO AGENCY
And Then We Danced: Folk, Love & Pride in Georgia